What is a mammogram?
- An X-ray of the breast.
- It is the best test doctors have to find breast cancer early.
How is a mammogram done?
- You stand in front of a special X-ray machine.
- A technician will place your breast on a clear plastic plate.
- The plates will flatten your breast to hold it still to take the X-ray.
- The other breast will be X-rayed the same way.
Then what happens?
- The technician will check the X-rays to make sure they are clear.
- The technician cannot tell you the results.
- A doctor with special training will read the X-rays and send a report to your doctor.
Tips for getting a mammogram
- Try not to have your mammogram the week before or during your period (menstrual cycle), because your breasts may be tender or swollen.
- On the day of your mammogram, do not wear deodorant, perfume, or powder.
- Wear a top with a skirt or pants, instead of a dress.
- You will need to undress from your waist up for the mammogram.
Mammograms - English
Mammograms - Spanish/Español