SMI Health Homes
What is a Health Home?
Health homes are a better way to meet the whole health needs of adult members with mental health and substance use conditions. There are three kinds of health homes available:
- Integrated Health Homes
- Co-located Health Homes
- Virtual Health Homes
An Integrated Health Home allows a member to get all of their healthcare needs met in one place. This includes physical health and mental health services. Sometimes, other services are included, such as dental, vision, and in house pharmacy. There are many advantages to getting all of your healthcare needs met with one treatment team, including:
- One treatment plan
- Warm handoff
- Lack of stigma
In a Co-located Health Home a member can get both their physical health and behavioral health services in one place. In a Co-located Health Home, the member can get all of the above listed benefits of an Integrated Health Home, except there will be two treatment plans instead of one. However, these separate treatment plans are closely coordinated.
What if I Want to stay with my Current Primary Care Physician (PCP)?
If a member wants to maintain their current PCP, they can! The member can receive their primary care services with their PCP and their behavioral health services with their existing mental health clinic. Within the Cenpatico Integrated Care network, every clinic must be able to function as a Virtual Health Home. This means that the behavioral health clinic will closely coordinate care with the members PCP.
Why Health Homes?
In Arizona, people with mental and substance abuse disorders die 32 years earlier than the average person does (ADHS/DBHS). Preventable illnesses often go untreated, including:
- High blood pressure
- Being overweight
- Heart disease
These diseases are often made worse by poor health habits like:
- Lack of exercise
- Bad eating habits
- substance abuse
Health homes help remove some of the barriers to care and simplify finding the resources needed to get healthier. Combining and/or coordinating mental health, substance abuse, and primary care services can lead to better outcomes. This is especially true for members who have multiple healthcare needs at the same time.
Who Has Access to Health Homes?
Health Homes within the Cenpatico Integrated Care network currently provide integrated service for:
- Medicaid eligible individuals with a serious mental illness.
- Medicare-Medicaid dual-eligible individuals with a serious mental illness
Other Benefits of Integrated Healthcare
- Close collaboration between physical health and behavioral health providers.
- Two-way communication about the member’s holistic health
- All needed consents and information sharing are in place to allow for information sharing
- Ideal for addressing a member with complex behavioral health needs
- General screening (e.g., blood pressure, blood work for basic labs) and wellness activities (e.g., classes on nutrition and smoking cessation) are offered on-site
- Walk-in and advance appointments are accepted